Our little man had his first birthday a few weeks ago and I couldn't think of a more fitting party theme than this!
Our house quickly became construction central with dump trucks, building blocks, tools, dirt and lots of hungry boys hanging around.
Wait, that doesn't sound too different than normal!
Ok, a little different from normal... unlike our normal construction zones, this Birthday Zone was specially made for little diggers 3 and under!
Even the birthday cake was a just like playing in the dirt!
Jonah blew out his first candles in the back of his dump truck filled with dirt cake!
Each kid even got their own mini trucks to dig around their cake with.
When we weren't covered in chocolatey dirt we were very busy constructing giant cardboard block towers.
Well... actually they weren't so gigantic after all.
It's no surprise really if Jonah thought it was this much fun knocking over little blocks...
We could've expected our big block towers never to rise much taller than this...
The kids still had fun and loved helping Jonah break in his new favorite toy from Aunt Dani...
Our little boy has his very own, very manly, QUAD!
Here's the yummy, super manly (but could also be girlie with a slightly different angle) Dirt Cake Recipe!
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 (3.5 ounce) packages instant french vanilla pudding mix
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 package of chocolate oreo cookies with creme filling
- Smash, crumble or chop cookies into a small pieces. You can use a food processor or a meat mallet and a ziplock bag seem to do the trick :)
- Mix the softened butter, cream cheese, and sugar in bowl until smooth.
- In a separate large bowl mix milk and pudding. Incorporate as many of the pudding globs as possible before adding the whipped topping to the mixture.
- Combine pudding mixture and cream mixture together.
- Layer in a lined dump truck or flower pot starting with cookies then cream mixture. Repeat layers.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- Decorate with mini dump trucks, paper flowers, gummy worms, etc