Thursday, April 22, 2010

I'd love a tee-tank with my spring!

Top three reasons why I heart my hubby's abandoned under shirts:
1. Wash after wash they still have his yummy smell to them
2. They are always super soft and comfortable
3. They make very easy and cute little refashions like this one in less than 20 minutes


Who says cut-off tank tops are only for sweaty guys at the gym? This is totally feminine and cute enough to wear out and about.

Wanna try?

Materials:
1. Freshly washed t-shirt (we only want those good smells to linger!) that fits loosely on you
2. Sewing machine, thread needles and scissors

Step 1.
With a piece of chalk or fabric pen, trace around your favorite fitting tank top on top of your flat tee about 1 inch away from the tank top for seam allowance and ease. Cut out only the sides of the new "tee tank." No need to cut the shoulders, because they're going right back together :)



Step. 2
Fold the Tee Tank inside out, line up the arm holes and pin in place. Sew the sides together using 1/4 in seam.


Step 3.

Cut out two strips 2 inches by 4 inches of shirt from your left over scraps.






Step 4.

Fold the tee tank right side out. Determine where you want your 'pinch' to be in the sleeves and tie the spot in place with a piece of string.

Step 5. Allow the edges to naturally curl in before you wrap each strip around the string marker on your tied sleeve.

Step 6.
Wrap the strip around the string that is pinching the sleeve in place. Make sure the ends are curled under. If they aren't staying curled, you might want to hem them under before moving on. Carefully sew the ends of the strip together so that they are snug against the sleeve and will hold it pinched together as close as you like (try not to sew over the string you tied on, so you can pull it off later).

Step 7.
Untie your string to take it off. Move the wrap so the seam is positioned in the back and cut off the excess strip. And you're done!

Snap a quick picture of your new Tee Tank and email it to me so I can see!

14 comments:

  1. You are so creative, Jess. What can you do with my husbands old tee's with holes in them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Kevin has lots of "holy tees" I'm on it... let's see what we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey - sorry, I'm confused! I want to try this today, but I don't quite understand how to cut around the sleeve area. I get that you need to leave some so it can gather/bunch, but I don't know how much to not cut off (if that makes sense). I figure I'll just eyeball it, but if you have any suggestions they'd be much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you're going to make one!! You'll have to send me a picture when you're done!

    Sorry the directions are a little confusing... I simply cut right along the edge of my old tank top, leaving 1/2 inch extra for seam allowance. Then, because the neck of my shirt was a v-neck I just pinched in from that as my center.

    If your shirt isn't a v-neck then you will need to cut a neck line and it sounds like you will since you're wondering how thick to make it. I would try to make the strap portion double the width that you want the final "pinched" strap to look.

    Does that help a little? I could draw a little diagram of what I mean later today if it's still confusing. Let me know!!

    If you're like me and just gotta try right now :) don't worry about cutting too little at first, because you can always trim it down or make it bunch tighter when you wrap it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a genius! I'll have to try this, too! BTW- luv the 'mommy & me' skirts.....I still remember how proud I was when my mom made us matching outfits :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exactly what I had in mind to do to some tee shirts my hubs wanted to throw out, but I couldn't figure out the how part! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea and just used it :) Thank u!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails