Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Home Sweet Home

Hip, hip hooray!

Home sweet home at long last...

Because I'm still slightly uncomfortable with the idea of everything about my life being published online I didn't mention that we were heading out for a two week escape to cooler climates, wedding dancing and family fun....

but we did...

and now we're home!

I thought we'd never get here after a 10 hour escapade on what should have been a 2 1/2 hour flight. I'm sure 10 hours on an airplane with 2 babies is completely feasible, but I guess when you're only planning for a fraction of that time it can throw you for a little loop.

We started off with the kids happily fed, entertained and peacefully contained in our laps until the captain announced that there was a storm over Phoenix that we were waiting to pass while circling above Flagstaff. Well, about 30 minutes later the storm was still a stormin' and we were running out of fuel, so they decided to have us head over to Las Vegas for a "quick" stop to refuel and we could be on our merry way.

Because we were only supposed to fuel up and head out they wouldn't let us off the plane or even out of our seats for that matter...

3 hours later they realized that we weren't going anywhere with about 50 planes ahead of us on the runway. By the grace of God, and the federal regulation that now says you can only keep passengers on the tarmack for 3 hours without take off, they let us off for a brief 15 minutes to grab dinner and hunt for milk. Since naturally, they don't have milk on airplanes, and even if they did they wouldn't even allow us to use the restrooms, get delicious airplane food or even water during this 3 hour wait, I guess milk on the plane probably wouldn't have done much anyway.

After racing up and down the terminal I found ONE restaurant, vendor or store who hadn't run out of milk yet to sell me 12 oz of milk for $3.50 in a plastic water cup. I don't know how much you pay for a gallon where you live, but I bought one yesterday for $1.68 in Scottsdale, AZ. I should've brought the screaming Jonah along with me for a sympathy discount, but honestly, for as thrifty and frankly cheap as I am I didn't bat an eyelash at the price for the coveted napping I knew would follow this miraculous liquid.

After another 2 hours inching through the runway line we were finally in the air and on our way home. The kids were so excited to be home and in their own beds that even Sienna, our midnight cuddle-er, slept all alone all night long! She was so glad to be home, in fact, that I woke up thinking she was still fast asleep only to find her quietly playing with her babies in the toy room all alone. Who knows how long she had been awake?! It's the small blessings like this that help us laugh off our measly travel saga.

On the bright side, we were extra disappointed thinking we might have missed a good Arizona rain storm until later Tuesday morning we got a taste of the wild side....

That's actual hail coming down!!

Did I mention it was still 70 degrees out??

Aaaah, it's good to be home :)

For every second that Sienna missed her baby dolls I think I missed my sewing machine a little more... so be ready for some fun stuff coming next week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails